Thursday, July 1, 2010

Twi Dilemna: Edward vs. Jacob

Stop by any conglomeration of two or more females these days and you will likely hear a heated debate in progress: Team Edward vs. Team Jacob. If you have never read any of the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer, then you will most assuredly be in the dark about the discussion.

Suffice it to say that Jacob, a teen werewolf (Hmm, I think that’s actually been done before. Anyone ever heard of Michael J. Fox?) and Edward, an immortal, vampire teen, are the heartthrobs of every reader possessing ovaries. Forget the fact that both were always considered monsters throughout history that slaughtered mortals in a very bloody manner. We are to forget that a snake is a snake and accept that both these individuals are different from what we have learned. In fact, we are supposed to accept that they are different from others of their kind in the series.

Edward, who can hear every thought of every person except, of course, his mortal girlfriend, is evidently the perfect man, the perfect boyfriend. I tell all my guy friends who have not read the Twilight series that if they want to understand how the female mind works they need to read these books. I’m not saying that women understand men, but that they think Edward and Jacob are nearly perfect.

I read the series, plus another book by Stephanie Meyer called The Host. I enjoyed that book as much as, if not more than, the Twilight books. I’m definitely a Stephanie Meyer fan and will read other books she writes, but let me just state for the record that I am not for Team Edward or Team Jacob. They, along with Bell, are both neurotic and exhibit the normally female self-destructive behavior.
Make no doubt about it. With her looks, talent, strength and she can see the future, I am 100% aboard for Team Alice
Twist

2 comments:

  1. First of all, I have to say that I want to puke in my mouth when I hear grown married women fawning over Jacob and Edward. There is one thing to find someone attractive, but to have an adult crush on teenagers....bleck... I do think that the actor who plays Edward is attractive, but the one who plays Jacob is ugly to me. He has a huge ugly nose. But I hardly fawn over either of them.

    I haven't read the books, and only yesterday saw the first two movies. What I don't like about the story line is that it is EXTREMELY overly romantic. It makes young girls think that they need to find someone who thinks of them as a narcotic, and who practically faints with passion in their very presence. That is not real life. They never show Edward picking his nose or scratching his crotch. Or better yet, munching on a freshly killed animal. :P Also their relationship is built not upon common interests and friendship so much as it is upon turmoil and separation. One of them is always going away, and the other is always pining for them. Let them try being around each other 24/7 and if they still like each other I'll accept that they are in love.

    I just hope that this doesn't cloud the mind of young girls in to thinking that all relationships should be that highly charged and romantic all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have to agree with BOTH of you. The Twilight series is so blatant in its promotion of teen romance (which is Meyer's genius!), and simply GUSHES of the brooding about how he can't live without her and she needs him to complete her...[stifles his rising gorge]. And, in Edward, she has invented a guy who does not, nay, cannot exist!
    AND...now that you mention it, Twist, I agree. We should start Team Alice. She is the most real of any of them, too.

    ReplyDelete